To work with other town officials to make the Town of Newington a safer place to live.
Pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes Chapter 541, the local Fire Marshal is required to enforce the State Fire Safety Code. The responsibilities of the Fire Marshal include the following:
- investigate and report to the State Fire Marshal on every fire in town, listing injuries, probable cause, etc.;
- inspect all buildings and facilities of public service, manufacturing, and occupancies regulated by the Fire Safety Code at least once a year;
inspect manufacturing establishment for hazardous materials;
- inspect dry cleaning establishments on a yearly basis;
- authorize blasting and provide on site monitoring;
- review new building plans for compliance with the fire code;
- inspect and approve all underground and above ground tanks as stated by the code;
- maintain hazardous material files;
- inspect all schools for code requirements annually;
- inspect and approve woodstove installations pursuant to Town ordinance; and
- demarcate fire lanes within the town pursuant to Town ordinance.
HIGHLIGHTS OF FY 2007-2008 OPERATION
Continued inspections of new and existing properties.
- Continue to work with the public and building contractors to bring local buildings into compliance with the Connecticut Fire Safety Code.
- Maintain and enhance customer service provided to other Town departments, agencies and the community.