Information Systems and Technology will provide leadership, policy guidance and assistance in the use of technology while offering the highest quality technology-based services, in a cost-effective manner, and maintaining a secure, robust and efficient communications network for our departments and the community we serve.
Information Systems and Technology provides strategic and policy direction for the implementation and management of technology for the Town of Newington. Core activities include development of the Town's IT strategic plan, technology support, policy formulation, and the review and revision of technology standards.
• Quarantined 872,385 unsolicited spam email messages. An increase of 209 % from the previous fiscal year.
• Processed over 1,622 Help Desk work-orders. An increase of 15.9 % from the previous fiscal year.
• The Town’s website saw approximately 271,800 visits. Community calendars and employment sections received the most visits.
• Changed the Town’s domain name to “NewingtonCT.Gov.”
• Deployed scheduled printer replacements.
• Assisted other municipal governments with network assessments, technological recommendations and hosted numerous network site reviews.
• Completed the computer/ telephony wiring project at the Lucy Robbins Welles Library.
• Completed the deployment of Gatekeeper and Timed Access applications at the Lucy Robbins Welles Library.
• Coordinated all telephonic connectivity at each on the Town’s voting sites in support of special equipment used by disabled voters.
• Completed the deployment of the Town Clerk’s new indexing application.
• Updated Local Inland Wetlands and Watercourses (Geographic Information Systems).
• Created a Catch Basin Inventory (Geographic Information Systems - GIS).
• Provided GIS data layers for the Parks and Recreation Department’s Master Plan.
• Created a Hazardous Materials GIS data layer for the Newington Volunteer Fire Department.
• Work with Town departments to help identify areas where technology can assist them in reaching their goals and objectives.
• Maintain and improve the infrastructure for the Town’s networks.
• Lower electrical consumption in the Town’s data center and Town facilities by deploying virtual server and virtual desktop technologies where applicable.
• Upgrade the Town’s financial application system (application servers, database servers and workstation software).
• Upgrade the Police Department’s Computer Aided Dispatch and Records Management systems (application servers, database servers and workstation software).