Town Home
131 Cedar Street - Newington, CT 06111-2644 - Phone: (860) 665-8666

How do I register for a program?
Registration is accepted by mail, fax or in-person at the Parks & Recreation Department Office. Effective February 2011, we no longer accept program registrations over the phone.  We accept cash, checks, debit cards, and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, and Discover only). Our office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.  Registration start dates for both residents and non-residents are determined seasonally and are published in our Program Guides.  Non-residents may register for select programs only, and most of these programs have a higher fee for non-residents. For more information about programs that are available for non-residents, please call our office at (860) 665-8666.

How do I know if my program will be cancelled due to inclement weather?
The Newington Parks & Recreation Department operates a Program Information Hotline, which is updated when there are cancellations due to inclement weather.  You can call the Program Information Hotline at (860) 665-8686.  Please note that the Program Information Hotline is only updated when there are cancellations due to inclement weather. 

When are your Program Guides published?
The Parks & Recreation Program Guide is published quarterly and is distributed to Newington residents as an insert in the Newington Life Newspaper.

Fall Program Guide:
Distributed in late August for programs running September, October, November & December.

Winter Program Guide:
Distributed in  late November for programs running January, February & March.

Spring Program Guide:
Distributed in late February for programs running April, May & June.

Summer Program Guide:
Distributed in late May for programs running June, July & August

The Parks & Recreation Department also has two additional brochures that are distributed through Newington Schools each year.  Information regarding Youth Basketball is distributed at the end of October, and the Camp RECreate Brochure is distributed in mid April. These two additional brochures are distributed through the schools to children in grades 1 - 8.

What if I have an idea for a program?
If you are interested in conducting a program for the Parks & Recreation Department, proposals must be submitted in writing to Sharon O'Neil, Recreation Supervisor.

How do I reserve a facility?
The Parks & Recreation Department has several facilities that are available for rental including Mill Pond Falls for wedding pictures and Churchill Park Pavilions  for picnics.  The Mortensen Community Center Teen Center is available for birthday parties and team gatherings.  The Mortensen Community Center Gymnasium may also be available to rent, depending on availability.  All facility rentals require a facility use permit.  At this time, we are not accepting reservations for the Kellogg Eddy House, which is normally available for private parties and meetings. Please call the Parks & Recreation Department at (860) 665-8666 for more information and for our current facility rental fees.

Who Takes Care of the Town Trees?  Trees on town roads, parks, and town buildings are the responsibility of the Tree Warden in the Parks & Recreation Department’s Parks & Grounds Division.

When Will My Tree Be Cut Down?  After a tree posting period of at least 10 days, a tree removal is scheduled with contracted services. Delays may be up to a month or more depending on their schedule.

Who Do I Talk to About Buying a Cemetery Plot?  Cemetery space is sold by appointment by Parks Department staff.

How do I Find Out When a Specific Site will be Mowed…or Who Do I Call About Grass/Brush on the Side of the Road?  The Park Department mowing schedule is flexible depending on a variety of factors and ranges from 6 days to monthly, depending on site. Grass and brush on roadsides are mowed by Parks & Grounds Division staff.  To contact the Parks and Grounds Division, please call 860-667-5830.

When Will My Ball Field Be Ready To Play On?  The Parks and Grounds staff has approximately 30 fields to prepare in the spring and fall, generally proceeding from the largest sizes to the smallest. Certain fields may be completed out of order due to scheduling demands.

How Long Does it Take to Receive a Refund?
It takes 2 to 3 weeks to process a refund.

How old do you have to be to work for the Parks & Recreation Department?
15 years old, in some cases 16.

When do you Accept Applications?
Applications are accepted year round, unless an application deadline is set.  For summer positions, we usually set an application deadline in March.  Due to the number of applications we receive, we highly recommend applying early.   However, depending on current staffing needs, we may still have positions available until our summer programs begin.