Veterans Tax Exemption

Any person who claims an exemption from the local property tax by reason of military service must give notice to the Town Clerk. The notice may be an honorable discharge, a certified copy of an honorable discharge, or a statement sent annually to the Town Clerk by the commanding officer indicating that the person is still serving in the military and is unable to appear in person to file the discharge by reason of such service.

An original or certified copy of a DD 214 form must be filed by October 1 to entitle the veteran to an exemption on taxes due the following July. Please check the List of War Time Service Dates (PDF) to determine eligible dates of military service for property tax exemptions.

Military Record Confidentiality

Pursuant to §1-219 of the Connecticut General Statutes, legislation passed in 2002 states that military discharges are not available for public inspection. Military records are confidential for 75 years.

Records are available to: 

  • Any person needing information to provide a benefit
  • Any person who acquires a benefit on behalf of the veteran’s estate, the state librarian
  • Any public entity needing to establish eligibility for veteran benefits
  • Authorized genealogists
  • Funeral directors acting on behalf of the state
  • The veteran or his conservator

Copies of DD 214 Form

Duplicate copies of a DD 214 form can be obtained by completing the Standard Form 180 (SF 180), Request Pertaining to Military Records and then forwarding it to:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

This form may be obtained by calling 800-827-1000 or by visiting the National Personnel Records Center website.