Leaders in Training (LIT) Program
Who Can Participate
For youth ages 14 and 15
About the Program
The Leaders in Training (LIT) program is a 4-week training experience that fosters leadership development for youth ages 14 and 15. The program equips participants with the skills and qualities to be successful leaders in their schools and community. Our goal by the end of the program is for participants to have learned vital skills, attributes and strategies that are important traits of exemplary leaders.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply and be selected for this program. The LIT program will be held Monday through Friday, July 8 through August 2 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (times may vary). To apply for the Leaders in Training (LIT) program, participants must complete and submit the following to the Parks & Recreation office by Friday, May 24.
- Town of Newington Employment Application (find below)
- Two signed letters of recommendation from a non-relative (i.e., teacher, coach, etc.). Letters must speak to the applicant’s character, leadership, maturity and teamwork ability. The letters must be signed and attached to your Application.
- An essay on the following: Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more? Must be at least 300 words. Please attach the essay to the back of your Application.
- Activity Registration Form (find below) and Program Registration Fee
- $250 program registration fee for residents; $275 program registration fee for non-residents
- Registration fee will not be processed until applicants have been selected and will be returned to any applicants not selected for the program
Applications will be reviewed, and qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews. Selected participants will be expected to make a full 4-week commitment to the Leaders in Training program and will be asked to attend select staff training prior to the start of the camp program.
Please contact the Parks & Recreation office with any questions. Thank you.