Newington History Walk/Drive


On Saturday, April 24,2021, the 150th Anniversary Committee will present a History Walk/drive featuring seven properties with historical significance, all near the town center. Hours are 12-4.  

Rain Date: Sunday April 25, 2021.


150th Anniversary Gold Seal

1. Kellogg-Eddy House and Museum. Home to the Newington Historical Society. President Jim Late and former president Linda Crawford will don period costume and conduct tours of the newly established Farm Museum , which can be viewed from outside and inside and contains the rescued Holt Dairy Farm wagon and the newly acquired Eddy Farm wagon. They will discuss the history of the Historical Society.
2. Lucy Robbins Welles Library- Library staff will assemble a Story Walk highlighting library history. The Friends of the Library will also provide a presentation .
3. Mill Pond Falls- Lifelong resident Joseph DeMers will portray a sawmill operator from 1677, when pipe-staves were an early industry.
4. Original Firehouse Number 1- Saved from destruction in 1996 by dedicated volunteers. Recently retired Chief Chris Schroeder and volunteers will display antique fire trucks and fire department history.
5. Church of Christ, Congregational- Nancy Crawford, Jonathan Tinkham, and Jim Mulrooney , wearing period costumes, will represent 18th and 19th century figures from the congregation’s long history. The congregation will celebrate their 300th anniversary in 2022
6. 944 Main Street, a stately home facing the town green, with a rich history dating back to the 1720s. Two interpreters( Jeri Nagel and Dennis Morgan) will recount centuries of history of this property.
7. 646 Main Street - a lovely Victorian Italianate house that was built by John Kirkham for his bride when he returned to Newington from the 1849 California Gold Rush. Town Councilor Dave Nagel will portray John Kirkham. The home is owned by Flo and Jack Guite and has been featured on Historical house tours for past anniversaries.

The event has been designed to be COvid aware, outdoors or in buildings open to the outdoors ( firehouse and Kellogg-Eddy Barn).Historical Presenters will be ten feet away from participants. Social distancing will be enforced, and masks must be worn. Participants may walk the entire route. Those who wish to park and walk should park in town lots- Constitution Square, the Senior and Disabled Center (120 Cedar Street), and the Lucy Robbins Welles Library (100 Garfield Street). The properties may be visited in any order.

For more information, contact Kathleen-Marie Clark