Eversource Transmission Vegetation Management
Eversource has contracted with qualified tree contractors to perform routine vegetation maintenance within their electric system rights of way in the Town of Newington.
Contact: Marcia Wellman at 860-728-4547 or email@example.com
View the Eversouce Notice including map.
Greater Hartford – Central Connecticut Reliability Project
Eversource is currently working to construct a new 3.7-mile hybrid underground-overhead 115-kV transmission line between the Newington Substation on Cherry Hill Drive in Newington and Southwest Hartford Substation on New Park Avenue in Hartford.
In Newington, excavation and duct bank installation is underway. The new underground line will cross Avery Road, West Hartford Road, and Willard Avenue (State Route 173), travel north along Willard Avenue, and then turn east along Shepard Drive to the Amtrak corridor.
Schedule: Project construction will take place in phases. Please note: these timeframes are approximate and subject to change.
- Trenching and dewatering.
- Installation of a duct bank designed to house the new transmission line.
- Road work on Willard Avenue (State Route 173).
- Installation of underground splice vaults off of Avery Road.
Over the next several weeks, construction activities may include:
- Road work on Avery Road, West Hartford Road, and Shepard Drive.
- Installation of underground splice vaults off of West Hartford Road and Shepard Drive.
- Installation of new structural and electrical equipment at the existing Newington and Southwest Hartford Substations.
The hours for construction will typically be 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Due to weather or other circumstances, the crews may need to work longer hours or work on a Sunday. Impacted property owners and businesses will be notified in advance of work expected to occur outside the typical work hours.
- per CD DOT work Hours for work in Route 173 – Willard Ave are 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. during trenching and installation of the duct bank.
- Eversource has been approved by the Connecticut Siting Council (CSC) for extended work hours to run a low-decibel generator outside of the Project approved work hours to support dewatering in select locations within the right-of-way.
For more information please contact us at 800-793-2202 or TransmissionInfo@eversource.com to provide us with your preferred method of contact or visit the Project Webpage.
Newington Substation (185 Cherry Hill Drive)
Schedule: May 2018
Eversource will be replacing one Oil Circuit Breaker with a new 115kV Gas Breaker. Work is within the existing substation fence and on the existing foundation pad.
Construction is planned 7 May 2018 through 1 June 2018. Typical hours of work will be from 7am to 5pm Monday through Saturday with the potential for Sunday work for system restoration. There will be increased truck traffic to the substation intermittently for delivery and removal of equipment.
Please contact Lynn Vasquez, Community Relations Specialist, 203-271-4731.
Eversource Infrastructure Replacement
Schedule: August 2017 to mid-2018/2019
Replace 13 existing single circuit, wood, H-frame structures with 13 new direct-embed, single circuit, weathering steel, H-frame structures that are slightly higher than the existing structures in Newington, New Britain and Berlin. Replacement poles will be installed within 15 feet of existing structures. Structure replacement will not require tree clearing but minor tree trimming and/or vegetation removal may occur within the utility corridor.
Newington Access Points for Work Activities
Holmes Road (structure 7077)
Fenn Road (structure 7072)
Cedar Street – State Rte 175 (structures 7062 and 7060)
Eighth Street (structures 7048 and 7046)
New Britain Avenue – State Rte 174 (structure 7044)
Carr Avenue (structures 7036, 7035 and 7033)
Kelsey Street (structure 7028)
Bridle Path (structure 7025)
Brian Ragozzine - Project Manager - Transmission Project
(800) 793-2202 Email: TransmissionInfo@eversource.com