Start and Grow

Whether looking at opening a business for the first time or it is now time to take your business to the next level, there is a lot to do to get started.

Seal of the CT Secretary of State
Contact the Secretary of State to register your business and your Trade Mark or Service Mark.

Contact the Newington Town Clerk to register your Trade Name.  The Town Clerk’s office also provides Notary Public services.

Department of Revenue Services
Register with the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services  to obtain a tax ID number and to enroll in the sales tax payment system.
Connecticut Economic Resource Center
Contact the Connecticut Economic Resource Center to determine what licenses you might need from the State of Connecticut.
Department of Consumer Protection
For many specialties, a license from the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection  is required.
Department of Motor Vehicles
Contact the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles for rules affecting Automobile Dealers, Repairers, Driving Schools and for Truck and Bus Inspections.
Department of Banking
Contact the Connecticut Department of Banking or the Connecticut Insurance Department for businesses in the financial services industry.
Contact the Central Connecticut Health District if your business is subject to health department inspection.
Department of Economic and Community Development
Contact the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development to find out if you qualify for financial assistance.

Contact the Newington Town Planner to understand zoning regulations and the process for establishing or expanding a business location.

Contact the Newington Zoning Enforcement Officer for questions about Home Based Businesses, Signs, Food Trucks and to obtain Certificates of Zoning Compliance.

Contact the  Lucy Robbins Welles Library for portals that will help you obtain contacts, market information, demographics data and learn about a variety of business topics.

Service Corps of Retired Executives
Get advice from seasoned professionals through the Retired Corps of Service Executives (SCORE) or the University of Connecticut’s Small Business Development Center .
UConn Small Business Development Center
Join Connecticut’s innovation community by belonging to CT Next.