- Sanitation and Recycling
- Mattress Recycling
Newington residents will now be able to recycle old mattresses and box springs through the CT Stewardship program at no cost. Through a partnership with the Bye Bye Mattress Program residents may now recycle these items by dropping them off at the Town's Transfer Station located at 2045 Main St. Proof of residency is required to drop off mattress or boxsprings at the Transfer Station.
What is the Bye Bye Mattress program?
Bye Bye Mattress is a mattress recycling program operating in California, Connecticut and Rhode Island. Established by law and operated by the nonprofit Mattress Recycling Council, the program uses a recycling fee collected on each mattress and box spring sold, to collected, transport and recycle used mattresses. It's also helping combat illegal dumping.
- Mattress foundations or box springs
- Any renovated mattress or box spring
- Any mattress, innerspring or specialty except those listed below
- Mattress pads
- Mattress toppers
- Sleeping bags
- Car beds
- Water beds
- Air mattresses
- Upholstered furniture that does not otherwise contain a detachable mattress, including, but not limited, to a fold-out sofa bed or a futon;
- Juvenile products including, carriages, baskets, dressing tables, strollers, playpens, infant carriers, lounge pad, crib bumpers
- Crib and bassinet mattresses
- Mattress or box spring that are heavily soiled or damaged
- Mattress or box spring that have bed bugs
In order to maximize space inside the container we ask that residents stack the mattresses and box springs properly when placing them inside the container. Items are not allowed to be left outside the container.