Newington Food Bank
Located in Newington Town Hall
Monthly Hours of Operation
|Thursdays||9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.|
Who is eligible?
The Newington Food Bank is available to Newington residents facing financial hardship, who fall under the 235% poverty guidelines. You must provide proof of current Newington residency, income and assets, and household members.
How can I register?
You need call 860-665-8590 to schedule an appointment. An appointment will be scheduled to determine eligibility for the Food Bank and other financial assistance resources such as food stamps and energy assistance. Appointments are currently being completed by phone.
What kinds of items are available?
The majority of items are nonperishable food items. We do have some frozen and refrigerated items. We also have limited hygiene and household products.
How much can I get?
The number of bags you are allowed is based on your household size. The food bank should be considered a supplement to your groceries. It will not meet your full monthly needs.
How often can I use it?
Use is limited to once a month. Exceptions may be considered on an individual basis for extenuating circumstances. Contact Carol or Pam for approval of same. Please call our main phone number at 860-665-8590 to schedule monthly pick up or delivery of food. You must call each month and should call 10 days prior to the date you wish to receive food.
Mobile Foodshare at Market Square Parking Area ( 84 Market Square, off Constance Leigh Dr East)
- Mobile Foodshare is a pantry on wheels that brings fresh produce and other food to our neighbors in need. Food Choices vary from week to week but usually include several types of fresh produce.
- This and all mobile Foodshare sites are open to ALL, no income or residency requirements.
- Open every other Thursday 8:45 am-9:15 am. Please remember to bring a bag or box with you to carry your food. Please arrive by 9:00 so that you have time to shop.
- These are being given out in a no contact method to insure safety due to the Covid Pandemic. Please wear a mask and abide by 6 ft distancing.
- you can also call Foodshare's 24-hour phone line at 860-856-4321 to find out other sites where the Mobile Foodshare truck will be.
- To receive the Mobile Foodshare schedule on your cell phone text FOODSHARE to 85511.
- Thursday, January 14, 28 Thursday, July 1, 15, 29
Thursday, February 11, 25 Thursday, August 12, 26
Thursday, March 11, 25 Thursday, Sept. 9, 23
Thursday, April 8, 22 Thursday, Oct. 7, 21
Thursday, May 6, 20 Thursday, Nov. 4,
Thursday, June 3, 17 Thursday, Dec 2, 30